So many of my friends ask me for book recommendations that I thought I’d dedicate a post here and there to what I am reading or have just read. I don’t do reviews, so don’t expect long dissertations on any particular book.
- Best book I’ve read lately: Hands down, A Prayer for the Dying, Stewart O’Nan. If I told you it’s about a town with people dying from the plague, well, don’t let that stop you from reading this amazing book. It is one of the best I’ve read in a long time.
- Book I couldn’t finish: Great House, Nicole Krauss. Just couldn’t get into it. Maybe I’ll try again someday, because I’ve heard really good things about it, but it sure didn’t do anything for me.
- Book I’m reading now: The Red House, Mark Haddon. If you read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, or A Spot of Bother, Haddon’s first two novels, well, you won’t know a thing about this book. It’s a totally different experience. Haddon’s dry humor is nowhere to be found, or at least I haven’t gotten to it yet. It’s written in multiple points of view, so it took me a while to get into it, but I’m hooked now.
- Next on my “to be read” list: The Chemistry of Tears, Peter Carey. I’m a huge Carey fan, so I’m really looking forward to it.
- Book I’m going to read because of reviews from fellow bloggers: Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn. Everybody who has read it has said great things.
- Book I’m going to reread soon: Anna Karenina, Tolstoy. About ten years ago I tackled this book, mainly because it was a book I thought I should read. After a struggle getting started, I ended up falling in love with it. The new movie coming out at the end of the year reminded me how much I loved it and made me want to read it again.
Hope I’ve given you some ideas for your next read.