Welcome to my thoughts about writing and life and the writing life. About finding your passion, no matter how late in life, and following that passion, wherever it takes you. Oh, yeah, and sometimes about just stuff.
First, in the interest of full disclosure, let me tell you what I am not.
1. I am not a travel writer, in spite of title of this blog, though I am a writer, and I may at times talk about my travels.
2. I am not a graduate of an MFA program.
3. I am not an expert on craft, or getting published, or how to get Oprah to look at your brilliant but misunderstood unpublished novel.
4. I am not a self-proclaimed intellectual who will review inaccessible books that only other self-proclaimed intellectuals read and pretend to understand.
5. I am not really an expert on anything other than perseverance.
Now, what I am.
1. I am a struggling writer. But all writers are struggling in one way or another, so I’m nothing special there.
2. I am passionate about everything to do with literature: reading it and writing it and talking about it.
3. I am a late bloomer, only beginning to submit my short stories in my forties.
4. I am a believer. I believe that hard work will pay off, that good work will eventually find a home, and that the most important thing we can ever do in our lives is try.
5. I am a cheerleader. If you need a push, or encouragement to take the next step, if you need pats on the back or kicks in the butt, I am your girl. Ask my writing group. They’ll tell you. I’m the one who’s not interested in excuses.
So now you know. This is not about teaching you how to write, or how to get published. It’s just one writer’s journey. Hopefully I’ll learn something in that journey that will help you along in yours.